Thursday, 8 October 2015

Hi there, I'm tired


So... hi there. I know what you’re thinking, I look shorter than I did in my display picture. But I still look ok? Thanks, I just rolled out of bed, but shucks. I'm new to this whole scene, so why don't I tell you a bit about myself- I think I mentioned in my bio that I'm editing 2 films this year- The Great Forest, and Lacrimosa. But I also dabble in a bit of on-set lighting. Usually best boy work, but when I'm feeling wild and naughty (and I’m in the company of a risk-taking DOP), I sometimes throw caution to the wind and jump into the gaffer role. Try to keep your clothes on.

But alas, there is a predicament in my situation- editing a narrative film is a time consuming process. Editing a documentary with an abnormally high shooting ratio is an even more time consuming process. And for some reason I still haven't really grasped, this semester I'm doing both. So the painful process of finding balance (that joyous mythical word) is hard at work. I love being on set- there's something tangible and real about the lighting department- I always think about how a carpenter starts with all of these pieces of wood, and eventually fashions them into a chest of drawers. Likewise, the lighting team throw in a key light- then maybe a background light- or a hair light- or a fill light- or maybe even all of the above- and transform what would have been a bland, dull shot into something cinematic and aesthetically pleasing. The immediacy of the final product is something I can't get in post production, and I think that's why I can not only justify leaving the computer, but why I enjoy it. But again, the balance. So I guess you could say I’ve learned a few things over the past few months that have more than saved my arse, and if I continue down the path of trying to both get on set, and stay behind the computer, I need to remember these little tips.

1.       Regular sleeping patterns are a thing of the past- The saying ‘when it rains, it pours’ (NB- that may be a saying, or it may be ol’ mate Fiddy cent, who knows) seems to ring true. For some reason I feel like I’m on top of my editing duties, until I get on set, and that’s when the universe decides I’ve got to squeeze 3 days’ worth of syncing and sub clipping into one night. While it might not be the healthiest option, I’ve come to learn that powering through and cutting when not on set is the only real way to go. Film shoots last a week on average, and while I hate it at the time, being tired and grumpy for a week is a much better option than screwing over a crew and bailing on something you’ve committed to, or pushing back editing deadlines. A few weeks ago I was working as a best boy on seven consecutive night shoots- wrapping around 5am, I would come home, fire up premiere, cry in the corner for five minutes, then get to work for a few hours. It kind of sucks, but its short lived, and there’s plenty of time for sleep once the film has wrapped.
2.       Watch the coffee- I Found out on set there was a dude who didn’t drink coffee, true story. I can’t for the life of me understand how you could get through film school without it. But one thing about coffee (that I learnt the hard way) is to not just watch the intake, but what time I’m drinking it. This might sound elementary, but the problem with balancing post in the day and shooting at night (or vice versa) is finding out when exactly I should stop pumping caffeine into my body. There have been a few nights where I’ve followed a 14 hour day on set with 5 hours of post-production, and despite the pain under my eyelids, I still couldn’t sleep. The tricky part is it changes based on every scenario- how far into the week you are, whether you’re crewing during the day or at night, what kind of editing work is waiting at home… But a basic rule of thumb has been no more coffee within 3 hours of needing to be asleep. Unless Darcy Conlan is involved, then I just keep drinking.
3.       No booze- This one should be pretty straightforward, but I’m an idiot, and a connoisseur of all beers cheap and shitty; No drinking during production. Okay, maybe a nightcap after a long shoot (I feel being built like a 9 year old boy and working with heavy equipment affords me this exception), but putting away half a dozen drinks when you’ve only allocated 6 hours for sleep is a terrible idea, and despite how well the drinks might go down, you’re just borrowing happiness from the following days shoot, and potentially putting yourself and other crew members at risk by being hungover or exhausted.
4.       Don’t forget to Relax- This is the hard one- when the week is so full on, and you feel like you don’t have enough time to do even the work you HAVE to do, how do you find relaxation time? I found the best way is to learn to multitask- on the 30 minute meal break on set, I’d usually find a quiet, comfy place somewhere, and have my coffee and cigarette while listening to music on my phone. If I’m editing and the task at hand doesn’t require my ears, I’d listen to a podcast or something. And when none of these options was available, when I crawled into bed at the end of the night (or 3pm, or whenever- what is a sleeping pattern anyway?) I’d play some old sitcoms on my laptop- something that I knew like the back of my hand, a kind of digital goodnight story.
5.       Make lists- to do lists, schedules, and all forms of written reminders are definitely a life saver, especially in busy periods. When regular sleeping patterns are interrupted and the effects of a busy shooting period kick in, remembering small uni assignments, uploading rough cuts, and other smaller tasks often get forgotten.


So that’s kind of how I’ve tried to keep it together this semester. For the most part it’s worked, and it usually only fell apart when I stopped following that list of ways to keep on top of things. But then again, what would I know- I’m currently a giant ball of stress with bags under my eyes the size of doughnuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment